Industrial Zinc-Nickel Plating
Gatto Industrial Platers has specialized in Zinc and Zinc-Nickel plating for over 40 years. By remaining focused on these processes, we strive to provide our customers with an unmatched level of quality, service and expertise.
What is Zinc-Nickel?
Zinc-Nickel is a high performance coating that offers exceptional corrosion resistance particularly for parts used in harsh environments.
Alloying Nickel with Zinc creates a unique composition that will corrode slower than zinc alone. With a makeup of approximately 10-15% nickel and the remainder zinc, this alloy coating can provide up to ten times the protection of conventional zinc plating.
There is an increasing demand across industries for the high-corrosion resistance of Zinc-Nickel due to factors such as extended product warranties, longer life cycle requirements, more stringent safety standards and reduction of environmental impact. Zinc-Nickel is routinely specified for the following applications:
It is also a suitable alternative to Cadmium Plating, a common finish utilized in highly-corrosive environments. Cadmium plating has been phased out due to its environmental concerns, and for many companies has been effectively replaced by Zinc Nickel.
Zinc-Nickel Plating Process
The application of Zinc-Nickel is a two-part process. It requires an electrical current to apply Zinc-Nickel onto the parts surface, followed by a chromate conversion coating which protects the layer of Zinc-Nickel. The Zinc-Nickel deposit protects the part from moisture and corrosion, while the chromate enhances the overall performance of the finish by preventing white rust formation. The end use of a part should be considered when selecting the appropriate chromate.
There are two types of conversion coatings, hexavalent and trivalent. Hexavalent chromates offer a superior level of corrosion protection at a low cost. However, its use has steadily decreased due to the Reduction of Hazardous Substances Directive (RoHS), which bans hexavalent chromium in products sold to the European Union.
Trivalent coatings do not contain hexavalent chromium making them RoHS compliant. Their performance has increased significantly and most OEMs are now specifying them as a replacement for parts traditionally plated with hexavalent chromates.
|High Zinc-Nickel Alloy||% Nickel||Barrel||Rack||Salt Spray||Common Specifications|
|Trivalent||10-15%||YES||YES||Up to 1,000 Hours||
SAE AMS 2417
|Hexavalent||10-15%||YES||YES||Up to 1,000 Hours||
|Black||10-15%||NO||YES||Up to 1,000 Hours||
Gatto operates both Rack and Barrel Zinc-Nickel Plating Lines.
|Zinc-Nickel Tank Size:||11.5' Long x 5' Deep x 30" Wide|
|Zinc-Nickel Weight Capacity:||Up to 1,800 lbs|
- Excellent Corrosion Protection – Up to 10 times more protection than conventional zinc.
- Ideal for outdoor use or parts subject to harsh environments.
- Ductile coating that maintains good adhesion after post-plate forming or bending.
- Limits thermal stress to parts subjected to high temperatures.
- Heat resistant and can maintain good corrosion protection after being exposed to high temperatures.
- Can be a great alternative to cadmium plating or hot dip galvanizing in certain applications.
- Provides a thin, smooth, uniform coating that can be used on threaded parts or components with tight dimensional tolerances.
- Excellent corrosion protection when used as an undercoat treatment before paint or powder coat finishes.
Why Choose Gatto
- 210,000 square foot facility in the heart of Chicago.
- Indoor truck level docks.
- Staff of experienced material handlers to ensure fast and easy pick-up and delivery.
- Team of maintenance technicians who perform routine preventative maintenance to keep equipment running at maximum capacity.
- In –house lab that performs regular analysis on plating baths to ensure quality plating.
- Largest high-capacity plating lines in the industry, providing fast turn-around on orders.
- From initial RFQ to final delivery of products, our trained technicians and staff monitor each order to ensure parts are processed safely, securely and to the correct specifications.
Click here to submit a Request for Quote
or call us today at 1.800.290.1223