Oil & Gas Zinc Plated Parts
Components used in upstream oil & gas production are frequently exposed to highly corrosive environments. Historically, cadmium plating has been used to protect and extend the life of these components, but environmental regulations have been phasing out the use of cadmium over recent decades.
One option that has become a viable alternative to cadmium for certain components is zinc-nickel plating. Gatto Industrial Platers, a leading provider of electroplating, can provide zinc-nickel plating services for parts up to 12 feet long and 1,500 pounds.
*Please contact Gatto before sending large parts to confirm our ability to process.
Zinc Nickel Plating for the Oil & Gas Industry
For decades, cadmium plating has been the go-to solution for protecting components used in the oil & gas industry. However, environmental regulations have been gradually eliminating the use of cadmium, forcing oil & gas producers to seek alternatives.
One major alternative that has become widely adopted is the use of zinc-nickel plating. It has a number of advantages that lend itself well to the rigors of the oil & gas industry:
Benefits of Zinc-Nickel Electroplating
- Outstanding corrosion resistance: A .0003” thick coating can withstand more than 1,000 hours of salt spray testing with no red corrosion on significant surfaces
- High Wear Resistance: The composition of 85% zinc and 15% nickel offers higher wear resistance than zinc alone.
- Potential Alternative to Cadmium Plating: Zinc-nickel plating does not pose the same environmental concerns as cadmium, making it a suitable alternative in certain applications.
Why Choose Gatto
Gatto Industrial Platers is the industry leader in zinc and zinc-nickel plating services for the oil & gas industry. In business since 1974, we have the experience and capacity to serve all your zinc and zinc-nickel electroplating needs.
Committed to Quality
We are ISO 9001:2015 certified and adhere to the highest industry standards:
- American Petroleum Institute requirements
- Plating specifications set forth by NOV, Inc. and Cameron-Schlumberger
High-Capacity Ovens for Hydrogen Embrittlement Relief Baking
To avoid hydrogen embrittlement failure that can accompany electroplating, certain components require baking. This is commonly specified for parts with a hardness of 39 HrC.
- Certification and bake charts available for each order
- Fleet of large batch treatment ovens
- Customizable ovens to meet any specification. Average bake times range from 4 to 24 hours.
To ensure quality, we keep our ovens calibrated, surveyed for uniformity, and certified on a regular schedule in compliance with industry standards.
High Volume Plating Capacity
Our facility is one of the largest in the industry, handling up to 300 tons of material daily. This gives us the ability to process orders of all sizes quickly.
We are home to the largest zinc plating line in North America, with tanks 27’ long x 4’ wide x 8’ deep for extra-long or heavy parts.
Gatto Industrial Platers has the experience and capacity to provide the Oil & Gas Plating Services you need. Contact us today for a quote.